Monday, April 30, 2012

Soda Rock Diner






Oreo Banana Thick Shake ($8.95)

Hankering for an American diner experience, but not wanting to travel a whole day's worth on a plane to New Orleans, we chanced upon this magnificent place at the corner of Toorak Road. A friend told us the burgers here were simply amazing, which had Kate convinced we had to go in for dinner, hours after our roast pork lunch. I for one have a principle of not eating burgers, so I can't tell you how the burgers are, but the point of this post is not to review the burgers, but to capture my amazement at how good Soda Rock Diner's thick shakes are.
The place was quite empty when we entered, just how I liked it. I'd say the diner experience was pretty spot on, mostly from my recollections of movies a la A Cinderella Story etc. These kind of places are pretty popular in Taiwan, where they have themed cafés located around the city.

I found myself marveling at the cool counters and booths, the eerily human sized Elvis with a guitar, the ol' school diner tunes and a mini jukebox on each counter and booth, which I am pretty sure works!

Looking at the menu, prices are pretty reasonable, and they do serve an all day typical American diner breakfast, grease included ha! Issie and I were too full so we decided to go with an Oreo banana thickshake (which consists of 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream blended with the oreos and banana milk) and a plate of cheesy fries.

The fries were not spectacular, soggy and the cheese was not nacho chees, just your usual mozzarella melted and baked. It wasn't even golden brown!

The thickshake however, was probably the best thing ever. Probably propelling further down the road to diabetes and heart disease, but who cares!

I was surprised they used banana milk instead of real bananas at first, but realised what is a thick shake without milk so the pairing felt right. Oreos and bananas = bliss. The concoction was rich, creamy and flavourful, everything you can imagine in a thickshake. Sometimes they skimp on the milk or ice cream substituting it with ice or water, which makes for a diluted drink. SRD does not, from what I can tell. Hell, they even provided a metal cup with whatever leftover shake they had that they couldn't put into the tall glass! Standard practice? I don't know but it made you feel like you got your money's worth!

We left pretty much satisfied, and I'm going to be back for that creamy goodness when I can!

Soda Rock Diner
03 9827 3500
257 Toorak Rd 
South Yarra, VIC 3141

Soda Rock Diner on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment