Saturday, June 2, 2012

TCJ Recipes: Rice Cooker Carrot Cake



Attempt - quite yum but a bit too sticky.
Attempt 2 - drier 

One does not need an oven to bake a cake, all it takes is a rice cooker. Yep! I always had the inkling that we could bake / steam cakes in rice cookers, but never had the urge or sense to actually google it until recently. Adapting a recipe from Memoirs of Aleisha, I found myself with all the ingredients I needed to make this easy-as-hell cake. Simple as mixing it all together and tossing it into the rice cooker, I have already made it twice, and played around with the amount of ingredients, so this is sort of how I made it.


- 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 large carrot (I grated it the first time, and peeled it the next with a peeler) 
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (I didn't really put too much sugar because I didn't want it too sweet.)
- 1/4 cup honey (I used less honey the second time and it didn't come out as moist, but it wasn't as sticky, so this is really at your own discretion)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil (Don't stinge on the oil if you want your cake to come out nicely out of the cookpot!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- nuts (optional)
- icing sugar / cream cheese frosting (optional)


So this amount will get you at least a 4 cm cake, and you have to remember to coat the cooker will oil / melted butter before tossing your ingredients in.


First, mix the cinnamon and flour together (Component A). Then take the sugar, honey, oil and egg and mix them thoroughly so you won't get grains or lumps (Component B). Take Component A and mix it into Component B. After folding it in, throw in your nuts and grated/peeled carrot. That's really it! If you mix the ingredients in the cookpot itself, just start cooking it! Usually my testy cooker will turn itself from 'COOK' to 'WARM' in about 10 minutes, but just wait till it cools down enough for you to turn it back to 'COOK' again. I did it about 3 times on and off so I'd say about 30 minutes? But just poke a fork through the cake and see if any of the mixture sticks to the fork. If not, it's probably cooked!


I know the upper side would look pockmarked and quite ugly, but trust me, if done right the bottom will be a golden brown. Such an easy recipe and you can substitute it with so many other fruits - apples or bananas or maybe the odd pumpkin if you are a daredevil! It really is a convenient way to make yourself some dessert and have some leftover for the mornings, especially if you don't like the hassle of cleaning up after baking. :)


Let me know how it goes for you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment